Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Out with the OLD, In with the NEW


2014 Men's World Cup Soccer Team
To an inexperienced fan of soccer, what do you look for when you look at the 2014 Men’s World Cup Soccer Team? For me I look for one person, Landon Donovan. Whether you follow soccer religiously or gather with a friend to watch USA during the Olympic or World Cup, everyone knows Landon Donovan. Landon is considered by many to be the most decorated USA soccer player in history. He leads all Americans with 57 career goals, 12 World Cup games appearances and 5 World Cup goals. Unfortunately, Landon Donovan won’t be making the trip to Brazil to play on the 2014 USA Men’s Team. According to an article written on time.com (http://time.com/110022/landon-donovan-cut/), Coach Klinsmann warned the veterans two years ago that when he took over USA Soccer that no one is guaranteed a spot on the team. He expected every player to compete for their position at every practice and not assume that they are automatically a starter.
I gained my knowledge of Landon when I was on an LDS mission in Portugal in 2002 during the World Cup. The United States was able to upset Portugal with a 3-2 victory. That night was a bad night to be an American in Portugal. No one wanted to talk to the two American boys wearing white shirts and ties. What everyone wanted to talk about was how surprised they were with the United States defense and the ability of some guy named Donovan. This was the first time I’ve ever heard of Landon Donovan. As you might have already figured out, I don’t really follow soccer. I would probably consider myself a social fan, only watching soccer or Donovan during the World Cup or the Olympics.


Portuguese Fan Painting the Streets Red & Green

As for the Portuguese, I would say that they would be considered vested fans. A lot of them have emotional ties to both the game of soccer and the players that represent them on their National Team. In Portugal, the world cup is like the Superbowl of soccer. Every town has a ritual to gather together to watch and cheer on the Portuguese National Team. I’ve never seen so many people dressed up in sports attire in my whole life. It was like a sea of red and green Portuguese player’s jersey rolling down the streets. At the time I thought that the Portuguese people were crazy.
It’s just a soccer game, right?
The answer is no, it’s not just a soccer game to the Portuguese people. Soccer is a huge part of their lives.  They know the stats of each player and the teams they play on when they’re not playing for Portugal. I also think that the Portuguese people feel socially connected to one another when they gather together to watch their National hero’s take on another country. It’s them against the world, and when the team wins, they win. The team’s achievements are their achievements. They are true fans in the sense. But, when the team loses, they too lose. Their emotional tie to their team and players are unmatched.
Landon Donovan with USA Flag
I wish the USA Men’s Soccer Team the best in this upcoming World Cup. Even though I’m saddened by the new that the only player I really can relate to isn’t playing anymore, I’m still an American. I will always support team USA.


Here are some extra links and videos for your enjoyment.





No comments:

Post a Comment